Barrow in-furness dating site
Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 34 in number, representing its 23 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): Somerset: Abbot's Leigh, Backwell (2), Barrow Gurney, Bedminster (6), Brockley, Chelvey, Clapton, Easton in Gordano or St George's (2), Clevedon (2), Dundry, Flax Bourton, Kenn, Kingston Seymour, Long Ashton (2), Nailsea (2), Portbury, Portishead, Tickenham, Walton in Gordano, Weston in Gordano, Winford, Wraxall, Yatton (2). A large chapel, dating from 1860, was added at the south of the site. Other buildings, now demolished, included an isolation hospital at the north or the site, workshop buildings at the west of the workhouse, and the workhouse school along the western edge of the site.
An inventory taken in the same year included a workroom containing twenty spinning-wheels and four looms. However, the administration block at Lexden and Winstree was located between two of the radial wings, rather than being at the end of one.The Poor Law Commissioners authorized £6,600 on its construction which was to accommodate 300 inmates. In 1855, rumours of murder and cover-up began circulating in the village of Walton-in-Gordano.The architects were George Gilbert Scott and William Bonython Moffatt who designed many workhouses in the south-west including Williton, Bideford, Newton Abbot, and Tavistock. The allegations concerned the suspected manslaughter of a 22-year-old female inmate of the Bedminster workhouse named Hannah Wiltshire.Single storey outbuildings formed the octagonal perimeter to the workhouse. It was probably erected in several stages, beginning around 1850.
Lexden and Winstree infirmary block from the south-west, 2000. A laundry was located at the south-west side of the main buildings. A mortuary, probably dating from the early twentieth century, stood at the east of the site. The workhouse later became St Albright's Hospital but after its closure parts of the building were used as office accommodation by the local authority until 2005. Wormingford's parish workhouse was a house at the south side of Bures Road. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 38 in number, representing its 35 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): County of Essex: Abberton, Aldham, West Bergholt, Birch, Boxted, Brightlingsea (2), Mount Bures, Chappel, Copford, Dedham (2), East Donyland, Easthorpe, Fingringhoe, Fordham, Great Harksley [Horkesley], Little Horksley [Horkesley], Langenhoe, Langham, Layer-de-la-Hay, Layer Breton, Layer Marney, Mark's Tey, East Mersea, West Mersea, Peldon, Salcott [Salcot], Stanway, Great Tey, Little Tey, Virley, Wakes Colne, Great Wigborough, Little Wigborough, Wivenhoe (2), Wormingford.